Hot zone ‘like a blowtorch’ detected under Antarctica
December 18, 2015 Robert Leave a comment
Scientists discover a giant blob of superheated rock beneath the highest volcano in Antarctica along with evidence of recent volcanic activity.
Andrew Lloyd, a graduate student at Washington University in St. Louis, helped deploy research seismometers across the West Antarctic Rift System and Marie Byrd Land in 2009-10, says an article on theepochtimes.com.
Lloyd returned to Antarctica in late 2011 and snowmobiled more than 1,000 miles, living in a Scott tent, to recover the precious data.
Maps compiled from that data show a giant blob of superheated rock about 60 miles beneath Mount Sidley, the highest volcano in Antarctica and the southernmost mountain in a volcanic mountain range near the coast of West Antarctica.
More surprisingly, they reveal hot rock beneath the Bentley Subglacial Trench, which is part of the West Antarctic Rift System. Hot rock beneath the region indicates that this part of the rift system has been active quite recently.
‘Like a Blowtorch’
Mount Sidley sits directly above a hot region in the mantle, Lloyd says.
“A line of volcanoes hints there might be a hidden mantle plume, like a blowtorch, beneath the plate,” says Doug Wiens, professor of earth and planetary sciences and a coauthor of the paper. “The volcanoes would pop up in a row as the plate moved over it.”
“Like a blowtorch!”
And we want to blame humans for the fact that ice in small portions of the West Antarctic Peninsula is melting?
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Our Sun is about to get unusually cool, researchers predict
- Global Warming Causes Stratospheric Cooling By Jeffrey Masters, Ph.D. — Director of Meteorology, Weather Underground, Inc.
- 200 years ago, we endured a ‘year without a summer’
- Huge cracks and hills emerge overnight in Alberta Beach, baffling residents
- Airport Power issues. ?
- U.S. Customs Computer Outage Causes Delays At Airports Nationwide January 1, 2018
- …………. cooling ahead.
- Climate change assumptions false and world will start cooling down in 2017 global warming Science News Express.co.uk
- College asks NYPD to use bathrooms out of sight from students