Forecasters warn savage 70mph gusts and torrential downpours will lash swathes of the country from the weekend. They blame an unusually strong jet stream currently whipping up speeds of 170mph – around 70mph faster than normal.
It heralds a week of frenzied autumn storms triggered by a series of deep low pressure systems tearing in from the Atlantic. Worst hit this weekend will be western and northern regions with most of the country in the firing line from Monday.
However it will stay warmer than average for the time of year with mild winds from the south pushing thermometers to 15C (59F) or higher. Bonfire revellers postponing celebrations until tomorrow (Saturday ) night have been warned to prepare for the worst.
Guy Fawkes party-goers in Scotland and the north were last night (Thursday) wrapping up for wet and windy weather. Elsewhere was promised a mainly calmer picture with above-average temperatures sending things off with a bang despite showers.
A very mixed bag is forecast for the next week with the south and southeast holding on to the settled conditions for a time before storms sweep the country. Forecasters warn to prepare for traffic mayhem, bridge closures and disruption to travel plans as autumn bares its teeth.
Leon Brown, forecaster for The Weather Channel UK, said: “The jet stream will fire up on most cylinders by Friday and through the weekend to next week with speeds in excess of 170mph at times over the UK bringing fast-moving weather systems off the Atlantic.
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Our Sun is about to get unusually cool, researchers predict
- Global Warming Causes Stratospheric Cooling By Jeffrey Masters, Ph.D. — Director of Meteorology, Weather Underground, Inc.
- 200 years ago, we endured a ‘year without a summer’
- Huge cracks and hills emerge overnight in Alberta Beach, baffling residents
- Airport Power issues. ?
- U.S. Customs Computer Outage Causes Delays At Airports Nationwide January 1, 2018
- …………. cooling ahead.
- Climate change assumptions false and world will start cooling down in 2017 global warming Science News Express.co.uk
- College asks NYPD to use bathrooms out of sight from students