Patient in isolation in Honolulu hospital, officials say Ebola a possibility
By Web Staff
Published: October 1, 2014, 4:10 pm Updated: October 1, 2014, 4:55 pm
699Click to share on Twitter Click to share on Google+ 3K+Share on Facebook Click to share on Pinterest
Watch KHON2 News at 5 and 6 p.m. for full updates on this breaking story.
The Department of Health has confirmed a patient is currently in isolation and undergoing testing in a Honolulu area hospital.
Officials told KHON2 Ebola is a possibility, however the patient has yet to be specifically tested for the virus.
Two major red flags are if the patient has a fever and if he or she has been to West Africa in the past 21 days, officials said. They would not confirm which factors, if any, apply to the patient.
“We’ve asked the hospitals to tell us about is anyone with a travel history and anyone with a fever, and when those things come together, we’ve asked them to be very careful and in an abundance of caution while you’re working, for whatever else might be going on, also make sure you isolate against Ebola, just in case,” said Dr. Melissa Viray, deputy state epidemiologist.
Officials will not provide any details about the patient or symptoms, but confirms the department is working with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The patient is currently being kept in a regular room and anyone who goes in or out must wear protective gear, officials said.
The department said it was notified Wednesday morning and is still in the early stages of investigation. The public should not be concerned at this point, officials said.
“It’s very possible that they do… have Ebola,” Dr. Viray said. “I think it’s also more likely that they have another condition that presents with similar symptoms.”
Dr. Viray said the patient could have a number of illnesses including Ebola, flu, malaria and typhoid.
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Our Sun is about to get unusually cool, researchers predict
- Global Warming Causes Stratospheric Cooling By Jeffrey Masters, Ph.D. — Director of Meteorology, Weather Underground, Inc.
- 200 years ago, we endured a ‘year without a summer’
- Huge cracks and hills emerge overnight in Alberta Beach, baffling residents
- Airport Power issues. ?
- U.S. Customs Computer Outage Causes Delays At Airports Nationwide January 1, 2018
- …………. cooling ahead.
- Climate change assumptions false and world will start cooling down in 2017 global warming Science News Express.co.uk
- College asks NYPD to use bathrooms out of sight from students